7 EVALUATION OF PRESCRIPTION PARADIGM FOR THE USE OF ANALGESIC IN POST-OPERATIVE PAIN MANAGEMENT IN TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
Pain is an unavoidable complication of surgery; due to increase in the demand for surgery there is a need for better postoperative pain management. The objective of our study is to evaluate the pattern of analgesic used in postoperative pain management in a tertiary care hospital which could help in further improvement of patients’ quality of life after surgery by improving the use of analgesic. A Single Centered Prospective Observational Study was conducted in a tertiary care Hospital for a period of six months. A total of 150 patient’s data was collected.The result shows that majority (36.6%) of the surgery cases were in the age group of 21-40 years. The majority were males (74%) and remaining were females (26%).Among the cases, the majority were students (25.33%) followed by housewives, old aged and others. The most preferred analgesics were diclofenac (86%) given to 129 patients, followed by tramadol(44.66%) 67 patients and paracetamol(27.33%) 41 patients. The most preferred combination of analgesic was aceclofenac+paracetamol(19.33%) given to 29 patients, tramadol(17.33%) 26 patients. The least preferred single entity analgesic was acetylsalicylic acid (2%) given to 3 patients. The least preferred combination analgesics was diclofenac+paracetamol+SR(0.66%) given to 1 patients, acetaminophen+propoxyphene (1.33%) 2 patients, tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid(1.33%) 2 patients, aceclofenac+SR+paracetamol(3.33%) 5 patients, diclofenac+SR(1.33%) 5 patients, ibuprofren+paracetamol(4%) 6 patients and diclofenac+paracetamol (4%) 6 patients. This study showed most preferred single entity and the combination of analgesic and the outcome of surgery cases revealed that they all recovered though they experience mild pain occasionally.
8 , 1 , 2018
7 - 12